Thursday 23 May 2013

Black & White Films

For some reason I have a great fondness for old horror from the 1930's going through to recent films.

But for the purpose of this I shall write about the black and white horror from the 30's etc.

My first black and white horror film I had ever watched was NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and many (as well as me) hail this as a horror classic but it dawned on me that there are plenty of other classics that aer not widely spoke about.

I have bought a box set with 50 horror films in it going from Carnival Of Souls through to Last Man On Earth and Night Of The Living Dead.

I wasn't really bothered about Carnival Of Souls until I had seen it in this box set and I was hooked, the atmosphere was just soaked in dread, the music helped too. It was a brilliant film with weird things happening then the end was just scary as hell.

With the Universal monster films I haven't seen that many, the only 1 i've seen is THE MUMMY with Boris Karloff and that was too talky for me without ant scares but I think back in the day it would have been terrifying.

There are 2 here i am going to mention that I think most of you may not have heard of and they are THE SCREAMING SKULL and NIGHTMARE CASTLE.

Now these to me are pure classics. Nightmare Castle is about a baron who finds his wife having an affair and in pure rage he kills her and her lover. Then a few years later he re marries and moves his new wife into his castle.

At night footsteps can be heard, howling, laughting things moving etc but nobody can see anything. The atmosphere is brilliant, and to see these people go through emotions and slowly losing their sanity is epic.

THE SCREAMING SKULL is about a woman who drowns and her husband picks her skull out of the pool and it starts appearing in different places of the house without anyone moving it. Again footsteps can be heard and laughter etc but you don't see anything.

The reason I like black and white horror is because it drips with atmosphere and you don't see the scares or blood it' all down to your mind.

I can't cover the entire black and white films because i would be here all day so hopefully I have covered a few films that many people haven't seen.

Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment